Re: complaints about vote announcements (was: Re: The Ugly Logo and the Consequences)

[sorry for this off-topic post, I will attempt to restrain myself from
commenting on this thread further]

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 05:47:27PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> What i disagree with, is that i didn't know that i was highly recommended to read
> devel-announce, didn't even know about the list, but i guess that after the mess i
> made here about that, most people will be aware now. :) ...

You didn't know that it is strongly recommended to read debian-devel-announce.
You didn't know that there was such a mailing list as debian-devel-announce.
You didn't know that people interested in balloting issues for Debian
should read debian-vote.
You didn't know that there was such a mailing list as debian-vote.
You didn't know that it would be helpful to read the "Debian Weekly News",
accessible from the VERY TOP of the www.debian.org site.
You didn't know that the "Debian Weekly News" is updated with news of
upcoming votes or votes in progress.
You didn't know that there is a page identified as "Mailing Lists"
accessible from the VERY TOP of the www.debian.org site.
You didn't know that the "Mailing Lists" page is updated when new mailing
lists are created.
You didn't know that there was a www.debian.org site.
You didn't know that there was a webpage for the Debian Project.
You didn't know how to use a WWW search engine to find out if there was a
webpage for the Debian Project.
You didn't know there was such a thing as Debian.

Now, unless all of these are true, the only explanation for your
obliviousness to the logo vote is deliberate ignorance.  The above
breakdown completely omits mentions of the Debian logo vote in places that
are not directly affiliated with Debian, like the Slashdot news site.
Therefore the scope of your willful blindness is even greater than is
implied above.

If you are unwilling to survey the list of available Debian mailing lists
and thus determine which ones you'd like to be subscribed to, that's your
problem.

If you are unwilling to read the Debian Weekly News, which has been in
publication for almost half a year now, that's your problem.

If you are unwilling to visit the Debian Project homepage more frequently
than once every six months, and thus become aware of recent developments,
that's your problem.

YOUR ignorance is YOUR problem.

If you want to maintain your packages for Debian and do nothing else,
remaining in almost perfect isolation and ignorance of developments, that
is your right.  But no obligation is imposed on the rest of the Debian
development community to read your mind and bring things you think you
might be interested in to your attention.  If people do such things for
you, it is a favor, not a duty.

You have a right to be informed about changes in the Debian Project that
*DIRECTLY* affect you.  I.e., need to change your password on master,
someone wants to NMU one of your packages, etc.  Anything else is icing.
The logo is representative of the Debian COMMUNITY.  It is not the "Sven
LUTHER" logo; if it were then you would be justified in your demands to be
informed.  But your *influence* in a community is, and should be,
proportional to your *involvement* in that community.  If you can't be
bothered to get involved, then you do not merit much influence.

Unfriendly,

Branden ROBINSON

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |            If existence exists,