Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

Wichert Akkerman - Debian project leader wrote:
> I already mentioned a while ago that I think that the distinction
> between main and contrib & non-free is becoming less clear, both
> to users and developers.

Apparently.

However, one thing you haven't mentioned yet, are out package-fetch
tools like apt, dpkg-ftp, dpkg-multicd etc.  They still use
"stable/main stable/contrib and stable/non-free" as default when
setting it up.  This should changed, imho.  It is fine to mention that
the user can use "stable/contrib and stable/non-free", however, the
default should only mention main.

Moving the non-free (and contrib) part out of the main archive is a
logical conclusion to our social contract.  I don't understand why
developers who agree to our social contract now disagree with this
conclusion.

Users still are able to use non-free and contrib sections.  Apt is
perfect when accessing different archives.  Even dpkg-ftp has been
improved so it can do that as well.  Other methods need to be
presented a local mirror, so they're sort of "outside", I agree.

Contra

  But: In my opinion we MUST NOT vote for or against this proposal if
  we do not have a practical solution handy: i.e. if we don't have two
  (see below.)  machine to take contrib+non-free, as well as archive
  maintainers willing to work on two more hosts.

  And: If the main archive is split, the non-US archive needs to be
  split as well.  This would need us to create
  nonfree.non-US.debian.org as well.  Darn, that's ugly :( [Or move
  master into the free world and hook non-US up]

  And: What about contrib?  It is consididered DFSG-free except that
  it depends on non-free stuff.  It is not non-free software, so it
  would misplaced on a nonfree host.  Creating contrib.debian.org
  sounds stupid for me.

If people want to setup a special mirror consisting of main, contrib
and non-free, that's fine and should be possible.

My personal conclusion

  The issue needs further discussion.  Especially it needs some
  solutions before we may decide anything.  At the moment it is not
  practical.

  Of course, I appreciate if we would split the archive as it reflects
  our social contract and visibly prefers free software over non-free
  software, but still acknowledges that users want to use non-free
  parts.

  As a transition into the right path I would like to ask the
  maintainers of our access methods to remove non-free from the
  default settings but keep the tools mention it as comments if they
  like.  This affects apt, dpkg-ftp, dpkg-multicd at least, I'm not
  sure about other methods.

Best regards,

	Joey

PS: Are you sure that -vote is the proper place to discuss this and
    not -devel?

--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
	-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum