Re: free, freer, freest

    Why doesn't GNU set up their own front-end to Debian,
    one that only allows access to what GNU considers to be "free"?

I understand what it means to write a front end for a program, but I
don't see how to adapt the concept of "front end" to the situation of
Debian.  Debian is a collection of software, distributed from an FTP
site.  What would a "front end" be, in that context?

I can imagine setting up an ftp site and put only the free packages on
it.  We would have to modify the package-installation program to refer
back to this site.  In effect, we would be making a modified version
of Debian.  This is certainly possible, but it isn't very appealing.
There are many different reasons why this wouldn't be very good.  One
of them is that it would look like a dispute between GNU and Debian.

It would be so better if Debian had a site like this, and we could
distribute and reference the Official Debian GNU/Linux system exactly
as it comes from Debian, and in that way achieve our goal of
referring users to 100% free software.