Re: Ad hoc and spontaneous voting

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 08:59:38AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I am wondering what value do these suddenly burgeoning votes
>  have? I understand that they may give us an understanding about
>  public opinion, but what other charter are they run under? They
>  certainly do not seem to follow the contstitutional general
>  resolution protocol, and I see nothing that would lead me to believe
>  that merely voting has been authorized as an accepted method for
>  making changes in the way we operate.

Please specify exactly how either of the recently raised votes have
flaunted the procedures laid out in the constitution.

Regarding the logo swap:
1) On June 4th, I made a proposal to debian-vote (after having earlier made
   it to debian-devel).
2) Within a couple of days five PGP-signed seconds from Debian developers
   in support of my proposal had been received by either the -devel or -vote
   lists.
3) After two weeks (the discussion period), I called for votes on June 23rd.
4) The vote is under way, and will end on July 7th.

Regarding the non-free/contrib move:
1) Wichert made a proposal.  As Project Leader, his proposal doesn't need
   seconds, so the discussion period (by default, two weeks) began
   immediately.
2) His proposal is, to put it colloquially, getting the hell discussed out
   of it.
3) After the two week discussion period, he can exercise his option to call
   for votes.

>         Most votes (like the non-free issue) have been called with no

Most?

>  formal proposal, seconds, or a discussion period. I have strong
>  feeling against taking any action whatsoever merely on these votes.

Please support your accusations of impropriety with independently
verifiable data.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    Please do not look directly into laser