Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Bruce Sass wrote:

> These methods only work reliably if one uses dselect or apt.
>
> The philosophical/political/religious status of Debian packages is
> usually only found in the Packages files, those of us who don't use the
> package fetching tools (too much overhead for me) do not have this
> information handy unless we specifically went and downloaded the
> Packages files.
>
> So... until Debian makes the "status" field required (as in included in
> the .deb) or someone rewrites VRMS to prompt for a CD or to actually go
> looking for Packages files on the 'net...
>
> Hmmm,
> does VRMS report when it can not determine the status of a package.

Um, very wrong.

/var/lib/dpkg/status is on ALL debian systems, no matter what.  It contains
the status of currently installed pkgs.  dpkg-awk and grep-status parse this
file.

Adam

ps: On a side note, dpkg-awk can parse any dpkg database file, including the
available file, and the package file.