Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

Le Mon, Jun 21, 1999 at 11:30:41PM +0200, Wichert Akkerman - Debian project leader écrivait:
> Personally I strongly prefer the first option: it makes it much more
> clear that the Debian distribution contains only DFSG-free software,
> and that contrib and nonfree are an extra.

I am not much in favor of such things since there are a certain number of
non-free software that are open source and that have only litlle problems
in their license.

When I started maintaining sympa (a mailing list manager), it was in
non-free because of a little license problem. I was happy to be able to
say to people that Debian supported their software and that it would be
great if they could change the license to be DFSG-free.

And that's what happened ... sympa has moved to main. So I don't see the
need of rejecting non-free software out of Debian. All those software are
potential DFSG-free software.

I think that if we want to change anything we should split non-free in
open-source and non-open-source or something like this ...

Concerning your proposition, do you know that non-free & contrib will be
lost on most of the mirrors ? That would not be good.

Hertzog Raphaël >> 0C4CABF1 >> http://prope.insa-lyon.fr/~rhertzog/