Re: Moving contrib and non-free of master.debian.org

On Jun 21, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> What you have proposed will end up about half way to three quarters of the
> way to that full statement, you might as well finish the job, and really
> that is what the vote will be about, not about a 'archive split'.
>
> Incidently, as an aside.. to anyone who thinks that this would just be a
> simple creation of a new host.. No, it isn't. In discussions it's pretty
> much come out that it would be run by a different ftpmaster team, it would
> have it's own upload arranagment and it's own mirror arranagement, we'd
> need to find sponsorship and hardware to run it, etc. APT would no longer
> list non-free components and would make no mention that they even
> existed, etc.
>
> Sadly I fear that there will rage a whole debate on if non-free.debian.org
> represents enough of a difference from dists/stable/non-free. I would also
> direct everyone to read the -private thread that came up some time ago on
> this very subject.

I suspect that moving non-free and contrib to a separate host would
likely begin a process of the "contribization" (for lack of a better
term) of Debian... it's fragmentation that Debian doesn't need.

(IMHO this proposal is a amendment to the Social Contract; it should
be clearly marked as such.  I also note that our beloved Constitution
allows the amendment of the Social Contract by a simple majority,
which seems awfully bizarre to me...)

Chris
|        Chris Lawrence       |  You have a computer.  Do you have Linux?   |
|   <quango@watervalley.net>  |    http://www.linux-m68k.org/index.html     |
|   Grad Student, Pol. Sci.   |       Do you want your bank to snoop?       |
|  University of Mississippi  |      http://www.defendyourprivacy.com/      |