Re: still more questions for the candidates

* Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> [2004-03-11 15:43]:
> Ok, but you've also stated "I think the Technical Committee is
> mostly not working because of its current members", and in a more
> general context
>
> If it's not working well, you could at least spell out what you'ld
> like to see.

I think I'd like to see a change in the mechanism of how people become
part of the Technical Committee.  Perhaps a rotating scheme where
members have to be reappointed from a pool every year would help.  In
any case, as I said elsewhere, I have not come up with a good solution
yet; otherwise I would have proposed it already.  For example, I don't
think simply making Technical Committee members delegates appointed by
the DPL is a good solution since that could in theory mean that the
Technical Committee changes with each DPL; and I don't think we want
to go the route of politics (where things like this are routinely
done; i.e. that the new leader changes all staff so they support his
political ideas).

> You have posted to debian-ctte list (in Nov, 2002), but near as I can
> tell you've never addressed your criticisms to the committee, either as
> leader or in any other capacity.  Nor am I away of you making positive
> suggestions, about how things could be better.

Please, I addressed these points already in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200403/msg00093.html
| Of course,
| if you read what I wrote above, you'll see that this is a bad excuse
| for not fixing the problem - the problem has to be fixed even if they
| are not delegates.  I admit I didn't do that, which was partly because
| there were more important things to handle and fix.  However, as time
| goes on and the Technical Committee becomes even more stale, it has
| become a priority for me to do something about the situation.

As I said, I have not come up with a good solution yet.  I know I'm
not in a position to criticize the Technical Committee because I have
not done anything about it; I'm merely pointing out that there are
issues, and that as times goes by it comes more important to address
them.  Thus, this issue is of more priority to me now than it was in
the past, which means I'll devote time to thinking of possible
solutions.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com