Re: drop or keep non-free - from users viewpoint

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > requires work and copying the non-free bugs over as well, and you'd
> > lose the ability to reassign bugs from and to free packages to and
> > from non-free packages but since the archives would be separated
> > anyway, I don't consider this as a big problem.
>
> 	But, I suspect, you  are not planning on doing this work, so
>  whether you feel it is a big problem or not does not help in bringing
>  the hypothetical to fruition.

Wrong.  I'd be willing to help setting nonfree.org up.  This issue
is a pain in the ass already, hence I'll be happy to get it off of
the table.

> 	And where would the box and bandwidth dome from? Oh, I see,
>  since it is all hypothetical vapourware, details like that don't
>  matter.

For what it's worth, Daniel Stone already donated a machine for this.

It's probably not the optimal solution, but it's a solution we can
start with and move services to another machine once a donor feels
the need to support Debian users wrt. non-free software.

This proposal is not vapourware nor is it theoretical.  We've discussed
it in small groups already, and I believe it's doable, and probably
will result in *.nonfree.org being operational.  Sorry to disappoint you.

Regards,

	Joey

--
GNU does not eliminate all the world's problems, only some of them.
                                                -- The GNU Manifesto