Re: Questions to candidates

* Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> [2004-03-09 00:57]:
> In fact, Martin criticized me last year for not having novel ideas:
[..]
> Note that he didn't say he thought they were bad ideas; instead he
> asserted that I would be ineffective at achieving them.

Yes, and I still assert the same.  As I said in my response, this
year's election is not necessarily about "novel ideas" because it's
pretty clear what needs to be done - instead, it's really about good,
efficient solutions.  The question is which candidate can implement
those changes in a more efficient manner.  As I argued, I think I've
demonstrated that I can work with the members of Debian to implement
important changes.  I certainly hope that people will ask themselves
whether I have been productive as DPL.  The following questions you
raised are all valid, and they are questions I have constantly asked
myself throughout the year in order to measure my performance.

> The best way to evaluate any incumbent in an election is simply by
> looking at his or her record, so I'll ask some questions of the
> voters that are generally applicable the situation.
>
> The incumbent has had a year to prove his effectiveness.  Has he
> delivered on his promises?  Has he been the kind of leader you
> expected him to be based on his platform?  Is it clear to you that
> he is more effective than the other candidates last year?

[...]

> In summary, the biggest difference between Martin and me is that he
> has had a year to demonstrate his efficacy as DPL.

I would go a step further and also ask how much Branden has achieved
of what he wrote in his platforms in the last years, and how much of
this has been done by others in the meantime (not necessarily DPLs).

> I'm not running against my perceptions of Martin Michlmayr in 1998; I
> think it's only fair if he would do me the courtesy of offering
> compelling reasons he is preferable to Branden Robinson in 2004, not
> Branden Robinson in 1998.

My comments were about Branden Robinson in 2004, not the one in 1998.
I fully acknowledge that, for example, your communication has
significantly improved over the years.  Most of my arguments, however,
are about personality; that is, skills which are hard to acquire.  In
my own case, I know that I'm a good coordinator by nature.

Furthermore, partly in line with AJ said, while your communication has
significantly improved, I wonder why it had to improve in the first
place?  I have never been known for flamewars, and most people know me
as approachable, and know that I have always been this way.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com