Re: Offensive emails, was: First Call for votes: General resolution for the handling of the non-free section

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:18:52AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-03-11 04:58:02 +0000 Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
> wrote:
> >Personally, I find swearing much less offensive than making things so
> >personal that you title threads with things like "Serious problems
> >with
> >Mr Troup" or "Why Anthony Towns is wrong". [...]
> Acutally, it seems common that debian list subscribers personalise
> discussions. Your email is another example.

Whose email was that?

Trying to talk to people without referring to people directly makes things
unnecessarily difficult. Avoiding making individuals the focus of a thread
is both more obnoxious, and easier to avoid without causing problems.

(And anyway, the "you" from my mail quoted above is an impersonal you,
synonymous with "one", so isn't on point for your complaint.)

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004