Re: still more questions for the candidates

Quoting Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org>:

> On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 11:42:16PM +0000, Stephen Stafford wrote:
> > Given that the DPL is, in many ways, the
> > representative of Debian to the world
>
> Is that *really* true, and should it be?

Yes, it's true. Both Bdale and Martin have worked hard and been quite visible on
the conference merry-go-round and in giving various interviews.  Seeing or
reading the "Debian Project _Leader_" speak, one would definitely be forgiven
for believing (not entirely incorrectly) that to be the voice of the Debian
project (whether online or in real life).

Yes, it should be true. IMO one of the important functions of a DPL is to be an
identifiable name...a personality...a frontman for the project.  That's why it's
"Leader" rather than "coordinator" or "ombudsman".  If (as some will) it is
argued that we don't really need a leader in that sense, then fine, rename the
role.

While we have such a role, then it SHOULD BE true that they are seen by many
people, in many ways as the representative of Debian to the world.

Cheers
Stephen
--
Stephen Stafford               | Development and support consultant
<stephen@clothcat.demon.co.uk> | http://www.clothcat.org