Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 12:37:03AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
<biggish snip>

> Then may I suggest that a supporter of this argument propose a Social
> Contract amendment that specifically excluding licences like text from
> needing to satisfy the DFSG?

OK. Here goes <dons asbestos suit, tinfoil hat / lumberjack's high heels
and bra at your preference :) >

DRAFT FOR COMMENT/FLAMES ETC.

Debian Free Documentation Guidelines:
=====================================
This document is intended to supplement the Debian Free Software
Guidelines (hereafter DFSG).

The DFSG were formulated to provide guidance for the free software
provided by the Debian Project.  Some documentation for the free
software within Debian is not free when considering each of the freedoms
outlined within the DFSG and these Free Documentation Guidelines are
intended to clarify and supplement the DFSG.

Some licenses for the documentation for DFSG-free software prohibit
modification of invariant parts of such documentation.  Such
documentation shall be deemed to be free within these
documentation guidelines notwithstanding that it
would otherwise fail the DFSG.  Such documentation may, accordingly, be
classed as DFDG-free and be placed within the Debian main distribution
by virtue of this section of the DFDG.

Ratified standards, normative and historical documents may also restrict
modification.  Such documents may also be deemed to be free within these
guidelines as above but should be placed within the non-mod-docs section
to be created within the Debian main distribution.

Some published works that are available both in electronic formats and
also as commercially printed books may be constrained by other licence
or copyright agreements and may, for example, restrict distribution of
hard copy prints.  Such documents may be classified as DFDG free but
with attendant conditions and may therefore be placed in the
contrib/non-free adjuncts to the Debian software distribution.

HTH,

Andy