Re: Candidate social contract amendments (part 1: editorial)

On Sat, 3 Jan 2004 19:10:49 +0000, Andrew Suffield <asuffield@debian.org> said:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:56:27PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> > guidelines that we use to determine if a work is "free" in the
>> > document called the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We will
>> > support people who create or use non-free works on Debian, but we
>> > will never make the system require the use of a non-free
>> > component.
>>
>> No promise, implied or otherwise, that Debian itself will actually
>> follow these guidelines.

> What do you actually mean here? The DFSG is for determining whether
> a work is free; I don't see how "Debian itself will actually follow
> [them]" is anything but a type error, since "Debian itself" isn't
> software... unless you're referring to the stuff clause 2 deals with
> ("new components will be licensed [according to the DFSG]").

	It is shorthand, that most non-pedantic people
 understand. Hmm. Since you seem unable to, let me try and elucidate
 in more anal terms, not not skipping the dotting of the i's and the
 crossing of the t's.

> I think at least one of us has missed the point here.

	Quite.

	The current social contract starts out by affirming that we
 shall keep the Debian distribution (which, often, is contracted to
 just Debian, but hey) entirely free, and goes on to state what we
 call free software. It further goes on to say that software written
 by, or for, the Debian system by the project (well, perhaps, by the
 humans who are members of the project, since we are being anal;l
 retentive) shall also follow these guidelines (again, the Debian
 system, for you information, is also contracted to just Debian, out
 there in the boonies).

	manoj
--
The reward of energy, enterprise, and thrift--is taxes.