Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 16:06:48 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:39:56PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
>> > For reference, I wouldn't be. Either:
>> > 	Further, non-free and contrib shall be removed from the
>> > 	archive, and no longer supported by the Debian project.
>> > or
>> > 	Further, non-free and contrib shall continue to be supported
>> > 	by the Debian project.
>> Of course, that leaves voters without any way to express the
>> opinion "change the Social Contract to not mandate non-free, but
>> punt on the question of its actual removal", which is also a valid
>> viewpoint.

> 	[ 1 ] Change social contract, remove non-free
> 	[ 1 ] Change social contract, keep non-free
> 	[ 2 ] Don't change social contract
> 	[ 3 ] Further Discussion

	Umm, that is not quite the same thing. Consider the case where
 there are 400 voters that want to punt. And suppose there is an
 explicit option

    [ ] Change social contract, remove non-free
    [ ] Change social contract, keep non-free
    [ ] Change social contract, punt on archive
    [ ] Don't change social contract
    [ ] Further Discussion

	In your ballot, the 400 people vote:
  400 x  1123

	Suppose there is one person who does not want to punt; and votes:
       1234

	None free would be removed.

	In the new ballot, it would be

 400 x 55123
       15523

	And things would really be punted.

	manoj
--
The way to avoid the imputation of impudence is not to be ashamed of
what we do, but never to do what we ought to be ashamed of.  -- Tully