Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:46:24PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> In other words, you approve of removing non-free, starting with some
> future releases of debian, but keeping non-free in our historical
> archives.

Yes.  There are other ways we can provide support for third-party
software, but they are outside the scope of this discussion.

> Perhaps, if there's enough people who agree that this is the right
> thing to do, this should be made an explicit amendment?  [Of
> particular interest would be the criteria for deciding when to drop
> non-free, though this might be left as an open question.]

No.  I do not support any such amendment to the Social Contract, because
such administrative decisions lie outside the context of the document.
As I said before, these are distinct and separate issues. We can start a
new thread with this topic if you'd like, but this discussion should
bear no affect on the current RFD as proposed by Branden.  Additionally,
such an administrative discussion should move off the debian-vote list
on to something more appropriate like debian-policy or debian-devel.