Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 03:47:54PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > >                ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > What are the scare quotes for? Did we not already have this discussion?
> > No, but it obviously suits you to think so, judging by your inapposite
> > example.
>
> *sigh*

My feelings exactly, given that you trimmed away the parts of my reply
that counter your thesis.

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2000/debian-vote-200006/msg00040.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2002/debian-vote-200211/msg00257.html
> http://azure.humbug.org.au/~aj/branden_amendments/

Yes, I misunderstood the SRP with regard to the amendment process in
2000, and made an inappropriate charge of dealing in bad faith, for
which I apologized, which you claimed to accept.

Are you trying to accuse me of backpedalling, or something?  Note the
following text of mine which you eliminated from your reply:

> > > If you have the options:
> > >
> > > 	[a] Remove non-free clause, editorial changes
> > > 	[b] Don't change the social contract, support non-free more!
> > > 	[c] Further Discussion
> >
> > That doesn't have anything to do with the scenario I'm talking about.
> > [b] is not an irrelevant or cosmetic change to [a]; it's a wholesale
> > rejection of [a] and is squarely on point.  I'd expect it to appear on
> > the ballot if 6 people feel strongly enough about that position.

That hypothetical maps very cleanly to the actual scenario we had in
2000, with John Goerzen's proposal as analogous to [a], and your
proposed amendment as [b].

Therefore my understanding of the amendment process is as it was a year
ago, and consistent with your own as of 2000, and presumably 2002.

Unless you tell me otherwise, I'll work from the premise that you
haven't since changed your mind.

So, what, exactly, is your point?  That I was in error and subsequently
admitted to it?  Stop the presses!  Is it preferable to attempt to
conceal one's past mistakes?

> Lose the scare quotes, and lose the attitude.

Let's quote some more text you snipped away, like the rest of very first
quoted sentence in this mail.

This sort of amendment is like [b] above how, exactly?  I don't see much
resemblance.  "[b] is not an irrelevant or cosmetic change to [a]; it's
a wholesale rejection of [a] and is squarely on point.  I'd expect it to
appear on the ballot if 6 people feel strongly enough about that
position."

Now, let's consider an example of the kind of amendment I *am* talking
about.

> > [b] Debian should retain support for the x86 architecture
>
> ] A.2.2: The proposer or any sponsor of a resolution may call for a vote
> ] on that resolution and all related amendments.
>
> Unrelated amendments should not be voted on in the same ballot. I have no
> idea why you would imagine that Debian developers would try such idiocy,
> nor why you would imagine the secretary would play along with it.

Perhaps because the Standard Resolution Procedure says so?

Let's go back again to some text of mine you elided from your reply,
which quoted the Constitution:

[The above text, as far as I can tell, has remained unchanged since
version 1.0 of the Constitution.  We are now up to version 1.2.]

Is it your position that "will be voted on" has an implicit "someday"
after it?  I don't think that's the most obvious or literal reading of
the Constitution.  Maybe we can ask Ian Jackson, and this time he'll
wait less than three years before clarifying his authorial intent.  :)

> > > And I know we've already had this discussion.
> > No, we haven't.
>
> No,

So, you were incorrect, and after hurling invective like:

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:29:01PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > And I know we've already had this discussion. Are you going to be
> > > spreading FUD about every resolution that passes that you don't
> > > like?

You admit your error and proceed with more invective:

> this particular range of paranoid lunacy is completely new.
> Congratulations!

I guess the lesson here is that you're never wrong except when you agree
with me, right?

I daresay my own style of apologizing (thanks for the link):

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 03:15:11AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Indeed.  I'm sorry for the overwrought tone of my objections to your use
> of what I understand now to be a legitimate tactic under the Standard
> Resolution Procedure in 2000.

is a bit more graceful.  You mileage varies, no doubt.

Given the above, who has the more problematic attitude?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    confuse me with the facts.