Re: GRs, irrelevant amendments, and insincere voting

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 15:14:06 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 11:57:04PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Umm, by this logic shouldn't Option 2 have won in the
>> disambiguation vote, rather than coming in last? Option 2, as Ian
>> Jackson pointed out, was the least disruptive of the lot; but the
>> voting actually went like so:
>>
>> Option 1 defeats Option 2 by 95 Option 1 defeats Option 3 by 99
>> Option 1 defeats Option 4 by 162 Option 3 defeats Option 2 by 54
>> Option 2 defeats Option 4 by 104 Option 3 defeats Option 4 by 90

> I think that's a hasty conclusion.  Let's recall how much time
> passed between the first big flamewar on this subject and the time
> of the actual vote.  I think at least three factors were at work in
> making Proposal A seem like the "safe, conservative" option.

	You seem to assume that the vast majority of the electorate are
 sheep who blindly follow the latest demagogue to wax forth on any
 subject. You have concluded, despite the past track record to the
 contrary, that people shall not vote with the best interest of Debian
 at heart, and in an effort to come to common ground, and cooperate
 with each other, rather than push their own agenda in exclusion of
 any others.

	Voting, and majorities, are mere mechanisms to determine rough
 consensus. We have, in the past, managed to come to an agreement --
 often so, in fact.  However, you continue to imagine that people have
 in it for you, or any proposal you come up with, and the
 determination we make is merely the result of which charismatic
 person spoke to us about it. Like we have no brains.

	You certainly have come forth with a fair deal of
 convoluted reasoning to explain why people voted as they did --
 including the fact that that they did so because certain people did
 not fight the option that won; the parsimonious explanation, though,
 is that perhaps they really p;referred the option? Not because it was
 conservative, or not,  but because it was in line with their own
 (gasp) opinion?

	I think, despite your protestations to the contrary, we can
 still come to an agreement, that we are still reasonable people who
 are trying to create the best operating system possible; and
 discussion are not a bitter fight to the end to have our own way or
 the high way.

	manoj
--
Suppose for a moment that the automobile industry had developed at the
same rate as computers and over the same period: how much cheaper and