Re: RFD: amendment of Debian Social Contract

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 07:29:46AM -0800, Robert Woodcock wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 09:15:09AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > The problem is that it may also be the case that more people preferred
> > Branden's proposal over doing nothing at all, in which case it would be
> > inappropriately defeated.
>
> I'm aware of that. I simply disagree with your conclusion of
> 'inappropriately'.

Well, presumably if that happened, a second vote would be held on Branden's
proposal and it would pass.  Therefore, you arrive at the same conclusion
with more hassle.

Your method could result in ignoring the wishes of a majority of Debian
developers who like Branden's proposal, simply because a larger majority
prefer fewer changes but still prefer Branden's to nothing.

-- John