Re: Updated proposed ballot for the constitutional amendment (clarification of section 4.1.5)

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:59:13 +0200, Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> said:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 04:03:15AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>
>> Proposal C: Clarifies status of non-technical documents.  Creates
>> Foundation Documents class which requires 3:1 majority to change
>> and includes _only_ the Social Contract, and *not* the DFSG.

> Int this case, what is the reason behind this. Is it because of the
> opinion that the DFSG is part of the Social Contract, or because it
> is felt that the DFSG is not a founding document, and that we may
> want to more easily change it.

> Maybe this would be made clear now, so, in case this is choosen, we
> don't have ambiguities later on.

	There are definitely two camps about this. One camp, whose
 views I subscribe to, believes that the juxtaposition is mere
 happenstance; and that when the social contract talks about us
 including a definition of what is free, we meant included in Debian
 itself.

	The other camp believes that the DFSG is a par of the social
 contract, and can't be treated differently.

	The fact that I consider them separate is fairly clear in
 the variant I proposed (Proposal A), since I mention them
 specifically.

	You shall have to ask Branden, the author of variant C, to
 clarify what he meant -- and if there is suggested wording clarifying
 his position, I'll put it on the web page as well as the ballot.

	manoj
waiting for the fiend
--
The trouble with the average family budget is that at the end of the
money there's too much month left.