Re: Some questions for the DPL candidates

     Ooops - I menat to send this to the list.

"Marcelo E. Magallon" <mmagallo@debian.org> writes:

>                                 I had to look the idiom on a dictionary,
>  and was left wondering about what exactly Branden means.  "Fish or cut
>  bait" means, according to the Random House Dictionary of Proverbs, "do
>  your job or let somebody else do it".  Particularly, it doesn't mean
>  "come to a final resolution".

     As a native (American) English speaker, it was obvious to me that
Branden meant to stop the delays and bring the GRs to a vote.  He
obviously is aware the the DPL can't decide the issue, but can expedite
a solution.

     The Random House definition seems too restrictive to me.  I found
the following in a quick web search:

The American Heritage Dictionary:
     To proceed with an activity or abandon it altogether.

     The American-Australian Slang Dictionary:
To begin the main task or continue with the preparations. Often asked
exasperatedly: ``Are you going to fish or cut bait?'', or given as a
command (s.a. shit or get off the pot).

The Phrase Finder:
Either do some useful work or leave and let other get on with it.

Sayings & Everyday Expressions:
Make a choice; do something useful; don't be idle.

     It seems to me that there are too many conspiracy theorists on
this list.

Bob
--
   _