Re: Fwd: tzdata-2011d in volatile

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 19:31 +0100, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 01:26:41PM +0100, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > we just received the following request for 2011d in lenny-volatile and
> > squeeze-updates.  Could you prepare the uploads?
>
> I should have a bit of time tonight to work on that, unless Clint does
> it before. I have already something ready (but currently a too bad
> connection to do something else than mail).

Thanks.

> However I have to say I am a bit lost with volatile, updates and so on.
> If I understand correctly, we should have a new version in
> lenny-volatile and squeeze-updates, and in fine also in lenny and
> squeeze. What are the required uploads to reach this state, which suites
> to target and in which case should I include a .orig.tar.gz with the
> upload?

Taking the easy one first :-)

volatile
========

Target either "lenny-volatile" or "oldstable"; the latter means you can
re-use the upload for ftp-master.  This should include the .orig.tar.gz

ftp-master
==========

lenny: Target "lenny" or "oldstable".
squeeze: Target "squeeze" or "stable"; SRM will then add it to
squeeze-updates.

As a general rule, when you're uploading the same upstream version to
multiple distributions at the same time only one of them should include
the .orig.tar.gz; otherwise queued on ftp-master will helpfully silently
delete the second and subsequent uploads before they even reach dak.

In this case I'd suggest including the .orig.tar.gz in the lenny upload,
so that you can simply re-upload that to volatile.

As an added note to the above, "same time" is potentially a period
lasting several days.  If, for example, you'd uploaded the unstable
package yesterday, the .orig.tar.gz would still be visible on
http://incoming.debian.org/ and should not be included.

In summary for this upload:

- volatile - lenny-volatile or oldstable, include .orig
- lenny - lenny or oldstable, include .orig
- squeeze - squeeze or stable, don't include .orig

Hope that helped.

Regards,

Adam