Re: [VUA 51-1] Updated clamav version

Clamav has been 1 version behind for some time. I have taken to banning most file types to reduce the slip thought.

Thanks
Robert

Etienne Favey wrote:
Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the note.
Yet it seems like the Packages files on volatile.debian.org and its
mirrors do not reflect availability of the new version.

Sincerely,

Etienne

Andreas Barth wrote:
Debian Volatile Update Announcement VUA 51-1     http://volatile.debian.org
debian-volatile@lists.debian.org                               Stephen Gran
Dec 11, 2008

Package              : clamav
Version              : 0.94.dfsg.2-1~volatile1
Importance           : medium
CVE IDs              : CVE-2008-5050 CVE-2008-5314

The following security flaws were found and fixed in clamav:

CVE-2008-5050

    Off-by-one error in the get_unicode_name function
    (libclamav/vba_extract.c) in Clam Anti-Virus (ClamAV) before 0.94.1
    allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) or
    possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted VBA project file,
    which triggers a heap-based buffer overflow.

CVE-2008-5314
    Stack consumption vulnerability in libclamav/special.c in
    ClamAV before 0.94.2 allows remote attackers to cause a denial
    of service (daemon crash) via a crafted JPEG file, related
    to the cli_check_jpeg_exploit, jpeg_check_photoshop, and
    jpeg_check_photoshop_8bim functions.

If you use clamav, we recommend you upgrade to this version.

Upgrade Instructions
--------------------

You can get the updated packages at

http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile/pool/volatile/main/c/clamav

and install them with dpkg, or add
 deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main
 deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile etch/volatile main

to your /etc/apt/sources.list. You can also use any of our mirrors.  See
http://www.debian.org/volatile/volatile-mirrors for the full list of
mirrors.  The archive signing keys can be downloaded from
http://volatile.debian.org/ziyi-etch.asc and additionaly was included in
the stable point release r1 in Debian Etch.

For further information about debian-volatile, please refer to
http://www.debian.org/volatile/.

If there are any issues, please don't hesitate to get in touch with the
debian-volatile team.