Re: request youtube-dl 2007.10.09-1 / 2006.11.12-1 for Etch

On Sat, Nov 03, 2007 at 01:50:45PM -0000, petes-lists@thegoldenear.org wrote:
> Hi.
> youtube-dl 2006.11.12-1 in Etch has been unusable for a while now because
> of a change by YouTube (I think to the syntax of their URI but I'm not
> sure). youtube-dl 2007.10.09-1 works and is in Testing.
>
> I would like to request youtube-dl 2007.10.09-1 be included in Volatile
> please.
>
> It only consists of one Python script and sundry files; only depends on
> python (>= 2.4). Here are the included files:
>
> 	/usr/bin/youtube-dl
> 	/usr/share/doc/youtube-dl/copyright
> 	/usr/share/doc/youtube-dl/changelog.Debian.gz
> 	/usr/share/man/man1/youtube-dl.1.gz
>
> I've been using a version from upstream by just replacing
> /usr/bin/youtube-dl and that has worked OK.

It is up to the package maintainer to make such a request.

Looks like the suggestion has already been made to him in debian bug #439363,
which I am cc'ing in this.

Such a program seems to falls into a category that has been considered before,
and reading the archives of the list for this should prove instructive.  In
particular, whether changes in the code might be so dramatic as to make any
guarantee of stability hard to make.

Regards,
Paddy