Re: clamav needs updating

<snip>

On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 05:29:11PM +0100, Stephen Gran wrote:

> This one time, at band camp, paddy@panici.net said:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 04:13:18PM +0000, paddy@panici.net wrote:
> > >
> > > Can the new clam packages conflict against an avscan version that
> > > hasn't been released yet but will have the fix in it ?
> >
> > sorry,
> >
> > conflict against versions *prior to* an as-yet-unreleased fixed version
>
> If avscan was for some reason your mission critical app, would that be a
> good solution for you?  It's a fallback possibility, yes, but one I'd
> like to use as a last resort.

Stephen,

apologies, I had skimmed parts of the thread.

It is the top passage which I wish I read more slowly: you have considered
this.

Indeed, I am sure avscan users will be very grateful that you took
the time you did to discover this problem in the first place, and the
proof of the pudding is right there.

I recall there being some wish to define volatile as being a place that
would not 'drag in' dependencies.  Personally, I never felt confident
to try to make an abstract judgement about that ahead of time (leaning
towards the belief that it might sometimes be the best option), but if
I understand the situation with avscan then perhaps that issue arises
here ?

Regards,
Paddy