Re: Split of volatile webpages complete: please test/comment

Hi Luk,

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 04:31:39PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> The split of the volatile webpages is comitted into the www.d.o
> repository.
>
> Please test if everything is working correctly and don't be afraid to send
> comments to the appropriate list or in private.

would be easier, if you included the link to page you meant. I forgot the
actual address and had to use google. :)

Google first pointed me to http://volatile.debian.net/ and from there the
big letters say, I should visit http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-volatile/
instead, because v.d.n is probably out of date.

Both sites say, it should be easy for admins to "just use" volatile and
sloppy is mentioned, but there is no config snipped how that could be done.
(E. g. sources.list entry, is something necessary for the apt preferences
file?) I think this should be there or a big fat link for those admins where
appropriate information can be found. The www.d.o page lacks also a link to
mirrors and the signing keys.

Maybe it would also be a good idea to mention, that the volatile packages/
versions cannot be found via packages.debian.org.

Back in 2005 I had some suggestions about the site (of which some got
already included). See the subthread starting at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile/2005/12/msg00003.html

I think it is still a good idea to say something about "Your package got
rejected. -- So what next?" Is the MessageID finder mentioned in some policy
or reference manual that can be pointed to? (The actual address for it is:
http://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/?m=<msg-id> )

I wrote about "user wishes" back there, IIRC backports.org wasn't born (or
at least not as good as it is today) that time. But I still think some
comments about "If you (non-DD) think package xyz may be a candidate for
volatile..." would be good. Something like 'ask about opinions on the
volatile mailing list, Cc the maintainer, maybe you can provide a patch that
makes xyz build in a stable environment' ... 'If the answer is no, have a
look at backports.org.' (Maybe Azureus is a good counter example, for
packages not suitable for volatile these days.)

Uhm, this got lengthier than it should. I hope it all sounds not too
confused. :)

Greetings,
 Mike Dornberger