Re: Review of the gtk-gnutella patch

While I agree with the bulk of your points, I think some things need to be
pointed out here. I don't use Gnutella, so I don't have an horse in this
race, but here are my thoughts:

Gnutella (using the word generically -- not referring to gtk-gnutella
specifically) is a corner-case; an exception to the majority of packages.
Why?

1) It's not built on any real network standard, (IETF RFCs like http, or
tcp/ip, or other similar packages might be) and thus is extremely volatile.

2) Wholesale changes (as we can see) occur and when they do, they break
previous versions of the package.. and, most importantly:

3) Normally, previous versions of a package that would be in stable would be
fine; they would continue to function with the old standard. I.e., if
OpenOffice switches from sxw to odt, people both can use the old version to
open their old documents and the new version would retain document backward
compatibility. Because gnutella (and relations) are networked applications
without using stable standards, a non-backward compatible change affects the
entire network.

These are pretty unusual circumstances. An FTP client wouldn't have these
problems (stable protocol so the old version would continue to interoperate
with other FTP servers), and a typical desktop app wouldn't have this problem
(old version would continue to interoperate with the old files.) I think
there are few times when we run into this. Another example might be when a
game completely changes its protocol to fix cheating, but even then the game
is usually playable offline and thus there would be good reason to keep the
old version in stable. (I.e., it still half-works.)

So, this is a strange case and thus not worth getting freaked out about. I
think Volatile should accept the whole new package because of the following
reasons:

1) Upstream didn't split out the changes like (perhaps) they should have

2) The package as it sits is apparently completely useless anyway (because it
depends on a "package dependency" -- the old version of the network protocol
-- that no longer is valid). BTW, why isn't there a gnutella library and
treat gtk-gnutella as a client only? hm.

3) It appears to not have any depends of its own, so accepting the whole
package won't hurt any other packages

4) It's a desktop-quality application that uses an evolving protocol that (by
definition) is not stable... users would rather have an app that works than
one that doesn't, (and volatile is definitely the right place to put it)

and finally (and most importantly)

5) It's a weird, unusual case because of the unusual type of application it
is, so this sort of scenario should be a rare event compared to the majority
of packages..

Hopefully, I didn't miss any key points.. ?