Re: Review of the gtk-gnutella patch

On 2006-01-07 18:34:53 +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> based on the patch you send in on 24th of November i tried to review
> your patch. This 18MB patch seem to only consist of changes upstream
> made. This are _not_ only changes to a stable program that are
> necessary to keep it functional but a complete backport of a package.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't debian-volatile created to keep
programs functional where upstream changes too frequently (or too
massively) to make just fixing bugs infeasible?

I know zilch about the gnutella protocol and how much it changed since
the release of sarge, so I'll try to ask the question generally:

If stable contains version X of a program, and that version turns out to
be unusable because of massive changes in the environment it is supposed
to be used in, and there is a current version Y of the program, would
not the correct way to include the program in volatile to package
version Y instead of creating a huge patch with all the changes between
X and Y?

	hp

--
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Ich sehe nun ein, dass Computer wenig
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | geeignet sind, um sich was zu merken.