Re: Recommend pin practices for using volatile?

Marc Haber wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2005 at 02:23:38PM +1000, Paul Gear wrote:
>
>>I've been using sarge for some time, and i've never quite got my
>>apt-pinning right.  It's all fairly straightforward - i want to track
>>stable, use volatile for the important things, and occasionally pull
>>packages from unstable.
>

> If you "occasionally pull packages from unstable", you will end up
> with unstable libraries pretty fast, combining the disadvantages of
> stable and unstable without gaining the advantages. I'd récommend
> against doing so.

I'm always careful about that.  Mostly it's for my non-Internet-exposed
home desktop.  My production firewalls & web servers don't include
unstable in their sources.list.

>>Yet 'apt-get dist-upgrade' tells me there is nothing to upgrade.  Any ideas?
>
> apt-cache policy and apt-cache policy <package> can be of great help.

Thanks for that - i hadn't seen that option before.  Looks like the
problem is apt-show-versions - it shows packages in unstable as being
upgradable, but since volatile overrides unstable in my preferences
file, they're not upgrading.  So it looks like things are working as
expected.

--
Paul
<http://paulgear.webhop.net>