Re: speaker-test: no correct sound output on LFE and others speakers

Hi,

> Basically I've the same issue described here:
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/1180389/speaker-test-returns-all-6-channels-to-front-speakers
>
> The speaker-test program is provided by the alsa-utils package. I'm using
> Debian 12 Bookworm, I've no ~/.asoundrc file. My /proc/asound/cards returns:
>
> ~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
>  0 [SB             ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
>                       HDA ATI SB at 0xfe400000 irq 16
>  1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
>                       HDA NVidia at 0xfe080000 irq 57
>
> I've 5.1 speakers the LOGITECH Z906 audio system plugged to the PC via 3
> jacks (left/right), (Center/Subwoofer), (Rear left/ Rear right).

I assume your cabling is right and your SB soundcard has surround out
(3 jacks as you describe it, and not mic and line out for instance). The labels
on the jacks would confirm that, so would the user manual of your motherboard or
sound card.

> The issue is that speaker-test doesn't play sound to the correct speaker. If
> I run:
>
> ~$ speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -s3 -f75
>
> The sound comes from (Center), (Front right), (Rear left) and (Rear right)
> speakers instead (Front right) only.

What's bothering me is that you get sound from multiple speakers while
instructing out on only one.

The usual issues of these setups with surround analog out are:
- channel mapping issues (driver/hardware mismatch)
- software downmixing to stereo

There are other usual issues with surrount digital out but this is not
your setup.

You can have a look at [1] for software fixes on this.

[1] https://alsa.opensrc.org/SurroundSound

Thanks,

Alex