bootable pendrive from zip file

Hello:
I recently used clonezilla and followed these instructions:

https://clonezilla.org/liveusb.php#linux-setup

to create a bootable pendrive from a zip file. What I liked about this method is that I can continue saving data on the pendrive and if I want to delete clonezilla I just have to delete it normally, without the need to format.

The usual method of creating a pendrive to install debian is:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.en.html#usb-copy-isohybrid

but this way I can't write more files to the pendrive, unless I format the empty space. And when I want to delete the installation from the pendrive I have to use fdisk and mkfs.

I have tried to transform the debian-12.5.0-amd64-netinst.iso file into zip but the size has gone from 659 MiB to 1.5 GiB, when with clonezilla both take up the same size. This increase in size makes it take longer to copy the data to the pendrive.
Does anyone know why this happens.
Thanks in advance.