Re: tbird troubles

On 4/15/24 12:49, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 10:59:25AM -0400, eben@gmx.us wrote:
On 4/15/24 10:01, gene heskett wrote:
On 4/15/24 09:09, Greg Wooledge wrote:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2024 at 08:28:24AM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
For the last 2 or 3 reboots, when launching t-bird, I get 2 copies of the
gui stacked on top of each other. I can move them separately to 2 separate
workspaces, and both appear to work for some definition of working, but
quitting one actually quits both.

How do you launch it?  Are you clicking something?  Are you DOUBLE-clicking
something?

A single click on the name from the internet section of the xfce menu.

I'm wondering whether Gene's mouse might be physically failing, and
sending multiple click events when he presses the button once.  This
is one of the possible failure modes for mouse buttons.

Try running "thunderbird" from a terminal emulator and see what happens.

Yes, that's a reasonable thing to try.

To see whether the mouse button might be misbehaving, Gene could try
running xev, and slowly clicking the (left) mouse button inside the
xev window.  There should be exactly one press event, and one release
event, each time the button is clicked, regardless of how long it's
held down.

.
nothing registers on the xev screen but the bacckground terminal goes bat shit nuts. I've had keyboard problems, could I be using two usb buttons that are rxing both keyboard and mouse? Except this keyboard is a wired usb keyboard, I just unplugged the mouse button and it dissappeared, and two buttons were plugged in so I'v now removed the one that did not rx the mouse. But that will not effect my dual tbird session started from the keyboard which is wired.

Thanks Greg.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis