Re: NextGov: Linux XZ Utils Backdoor Was Long Con, Possibly With Support

On 4/6/24 09:15, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
But what if next time the back-doored software _does_ build without error?

The initial build problems did not cause suspicion.
It was the CPU load of sshd and an obscure complaint by valgrind which
caused the discovery.
   https://boehs.org/node/everything-i-know-about-the-xz-backdoor
quotes the discoverer Andres Freund:
   "I was doing some micro-benchmarking at the time, needed to quiesce
    the system to reduce noise. Saw sshd processes were using a surprising
    amount of CPU, despite immediately failing because of wrong usernames
    etc. Profiled sshd, showing lots of cpu time in liblzma, with perf
    unable to attribute it to a symbol. Got suspicious. Recalled that I had
    seen an odd valgrind complaint in automated testing of postgres, a few
    weeks earlier, after package updates.
    Really required a lot of coincidences."

gene heskett wrote:
In light of that its worth noting that an M$ employee was the first to
spot it.

Indeed.
Thus we should also praise the peace between Microsoft and free software
which broke out a few years ago.

There remains the question, whom a good citizen should contact when
spotting something that could be a backdoor (or a subtenant ?) of
Debian's content or infrastructure.

It seems unwise for a non-expert to do this in public, unless one wants
to accuse the innocent or to warn the hoodlums.

Which category I am firmly in in the larger view Tomas, although I do run the bleeding edge master of linuxcnc on several of my garage machines. My main interests are in the realtime performance of machine controllers running lathes and multi-axis mills. That, and doing things with odd hardware that most wouldn't even try, like running a 1945 Sheldon 11x54 lathe with an rpi. Works great. I start the job and walk away, while Casper the ghost is turning the cranks, but 2 to 10 times faster than the best machinist. And its doing things it could never do before. Keeps me out of the bars. ;o)>

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

.

Cheers, Gene Heskett, CET.