Re: After upgrade, what do you do about "removed" and "obsolete" packages ?

Le 01/06/2024, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> a écrit:

> FWIW, removal of “obsolete or local” packages is easily done
> interactively in aptitude: you go the the corresponding section of the
> main screen, hit Enter, etc. The [ key recursively unfolds a section
> (use ] to fold it back). You ask to purge a package by typing _
> (removing with -, as in the venerable dselect).

Forgot to say: one can perform the operation (remove with -, purge with
_) on a whole section at once by pressing the key on the section title,
where by “section” I mean: a foldable group of packages (e.g.: admin,
kernel, libsdevel, libs, etc., plus actual Debian sections: main,
contrib, nonfree, and presumably also the new non-free-firmware).

So, for instance, a whole bunch of obsolete library pakages can be
marked all at once for purge with a single _ keypress (this doesn't
exempt one from _reading_ the list of packages marked with this
keypress—make sure you didn't overlook something!).

Regards

--
Florent