Re: After upgrade, what do you do about "removed" and "obsolete" packages ?

Hi,

i wrote:
> > What kind of programming language can have inspired the developers
> > to define such a syntax ?

Max Nikulin:
> https://blog.jak-linux.org/2019/08/15/apt-patterns/

This points to aptitude. The package description of aptitude says
"mutt-like syntax for matching packages". Indeed
  https://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/mutt/manual-4.html
has in its second half some lines which resemble apt-patterns.

> As to obsolete vs. local packages, my guess is that apt may label some
> version as obsolete if another version of the same package is still
> available from some repository. Otherwise it is local.

To me it seems that apt-patterns simply calls "obsolete" what apt-list
then marks in its output as "[... local]".
Obviously these terms refer to different reasons why a package is not
found in the official repos. But these reasons seem to be
indistinguishable. So in the end both terms depict the same status.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas