Re: "Repeaters", etc.

On 5/29/24 03:36, Roger Price wrote:
On Tue, 28 May 2024, David Christensen wrote:
On 5/28/24 00:28, Roger Price wrote:
I wired my place Cat5. A lot of work, and I regretted it.  I live in the hills behind Nice, an area with a lot of lightning.  The overhead line to my place took a hit and thanks to the Cat5 conductivity I lost equipment.

How do you know that the damage your equipment suffered was due to the Cat 5e wiring and not due to the electrical power conductors?

Electrical power to my computers comes through 30mA differential circuit breakers to Eaton Ellipse 1600 UPS units. I had no such protection for the telephone signal, and I saw flashes at the telephone junction box. So I summise that the Cat5 wiring did the damage.

Roger

https://www.eaton.com/sg/en-us/catalog/backup-power-ups-surge-it-power-distribution/eaton-ellipse-pro-ups.html

https://standards.globalspec.com/std/104626/iec-61643-1

Those UPS's should be able to protect telephone and Ethernet, in addition to electrical power. Have you applied the UPS's to the former two?

David