Re: Debian bookwork / grub2 / LVM / RAID / dm-integrity fails to boot

Hi Marc,

On 20/05/24 at 14:35, Marc SCHAEFER wrote:
3. grub BOOT FAILS IF ANY LV HAS dm-integrity, EVEN IF NOT LINKED TO /

if I reboot now, grub2 complains about rimage issues, clear the screen
and then I am at the grub2 prompt.

Booting is only possible with Debian rescue, disabling the dm-integrity
on the above volume and rebooting. Note that you still can see the
rimage/rmeta sub LVs (lvs -a), they are not deleted! (but no
dm-integrity is activated).

4. update-grub GIVES WARNINGS

Now, if I try to start update-grub while booted AND having enabled
dm-integrity on the vg1/docker volume, I get:

# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-21-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-6.1.0-21-amd64
error: unknown node 'docker_rimage_0'.
[ ... many ... ]
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: disk
`lvmid/xLE0OV-wQy7-88H9-yKCz-4DUQ-Toce-h9rQvk/FzCf1C-95eB-7B0f-DSrF-t1pg-66qp-hmP3nZ'
  not found.
error: unknown node 'docker_rimage_0'.

[ this repeats a few times ]

Sorry for the late in the answer, but I've just noticed that the Linux kernel of Debian Bookworm ISO image (debian-12.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso) comes *without* "dm-integrity.ko" module, making therefore not possible to support volumes formatted with "--raidintegrity y" neither those formatted with "integritysetup" command (I think that it's a bug and it should be reported).

When you booted in rescue mode which ISO image have you used?

Thank for your patience, kind regards.
--
Franco Martelli