Dell Vosto 1700 and NVidia

I have an old Dell Vostro 1700 running Debian Trixie. It has an NVidia G86M (GeForce 8400M) graphics chip. I installed the NVidia 340 driver (which is difficult to find).

I attached a HP 14" monitor to the VGA socket.

When I booted, it came up with side-by-side displays. I could move windows from one to the other.

When I closed the cover and re-opened it, instead of waking up, it re-started X, but this time with displays mirrored.

I ran nvidia-settings to move the HP monitor. It complained about not being able to set a mode. I've tried many times since without success.

I tried running the KDE Display Settings, but that put it into a restart-X loop.

Any ideas?

Van Snyder