Re: OT: Top Posting

-----Original Message-----
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@wooledge.org>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: OT: Top Posting
Date: 05/14/24 13:41:17

On Tue, May 14, 2024 at 05:01:31PM +0000, fxkl47BF@protonmail.com wrote:
> how many times has this top post crap been dug up
> don't y'all have any thing better to do

It's never going to stop.  We have a clash of two cultures here.

The first culture are Unix users who grew up with Internet email and
Usenet news.  For people in this culture, there is a well-defined set
of "netiquette" rules -- plain text messages, inline quoting with "> "
citation characters, lines limited to ~72 characters, etc.

Too funny for words! Make that twice now that I've seen line length
mentioned here on Debian in over a decade++. I also referenced the
inline quoting method since my new chosen email software appears to be
failing with its default on that feature. Will try AGAIN to fix that as
soon as I hit "Send" here BECAUSE tech reply emails are difficult to
follow without those stacked ">" over ">>" pointers attached showing who
said what when.

And, yeah, netiquette, that's the word echoed across the Internet. I
totally forgot that in my own response. It's not users picking on each
other. It's a respectful "virtual handshake approved" set of standards
with the straightforward purpose of putting everyone on as close to the
same page as is humanly possible.

PS Afterthought is that email signatures are another of that widely
accepted netiquette set of standards. I consciously altered mine many
years ago after reading about that, most likely also here on Debian-
User. Might have been over on W3C, too, now that I think about it.
That's where I first heard of Linux circa 1999.

W3C's Linux reference was about installing HTML validators locally, and
the rest is terminal command line history. Thank you, Developers! What
you all do and that works so near flawlessly in nanoseconds still..
blows my mind to this.. second. Watching daily upgrades methodically
unfold as each package successfully coordinates its place in line with
the others is pure magic. :)

Cindy :)
--
Talking Rock, Pickens County, North Georgia
* runs with birdseed! *