Re: Zoom in the official repo is outdated

On Wed, Apr 24, 2024 at 7:13 PM Van Snyder <van.snyder@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
On Wed, 2024-04-24 at 16:42 -0300, Luiz Romário Santana Rios wrote:
Hello,

(Please cc me when replying as I'm not subscribed to the list)

Earlier this month, I noticed I was no longer able to login to Zoom
meetings using the client installed from the Debian repos. In order to
join meetings, I had to uninstall it then install the flatpack Zoom package.

I think it should either be updated or outright removed in favor of the
flatpack version. What do you think? Should I report a bug?

I was expected to use zoom for a meeting. The zoom app didn't work at all in Debian 10, completely refusing even to open a window. I at first started with the zoom support in Firefox, but it didn't have a button to select high resolution for the camera, so the meeting host asked me to run in the app.

I re-opened the session on a different computer that is running Debian 12. The app worked OK on that computer.

Related, if you control the venue, then you might consider using Jitsi. Jitsi is open source, and it does not have the obscene terms of service that companies like Google, Microsoft and Zoom push onto people using their service. With Jitsi, your meeting data is yours. It is not used internally for other products, and it is not shared with partners like the Big Tech companies do.

And last but not least, Zoom is not trustworthy. The company will lie to users until the cows come home. It was so bad the FCC had to sue them to get the company to stop. That's saying something when the FCC moves against a company. The FCC is captured, and the regulatory body rarely moves against any company.

Jeff