Re: Debian non-free-firmware policy making OS misleading and Free Software unfriendly

On Sun Apr 21, 2024 at 9:58 PM BST, Reid wrote:
> If the Installers are not ALL going to give users the choice to opt-in
> or opt-out of non-free components, then those above-mentioned
> promotional pages really need to be updated so as to not be misleading
> users.

I'm sure the Debian WWW team would be welcome of some help addressing
issues. The communication point for them is the debian-www[1] mailing
list, and there's a www.debian.org pseudo-package in the Debian BTS[2]
where bugs and patches can be filed.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-www/
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=www.debian.org

> But BETTER yet, why not just update all the installers to give users
> that choice? That's what I'm strongly suggesting. Something very
> wrong/misleading/deceptive is happening right now.

Likewise, the installer team communicate with a dedicated list
debian-boot[3], and the installer(s) have their own BTS components:
one is debian-installer[4], but I'm not sure what the Live DVD is
covered by.

[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/
[4] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=debian-installer

The list you are posting on is a User list, so there's no guarantee that
the relevant Developers will see your messages.

Best wishes,

--
Please do not CC me for listmail.

👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland