Re: Current best practices for system configuration management?

On 21/04/2024 08:40, Mike Castle wrote:
One thing Linux-Fan mentioned was `config-package-dev`.  In my OP, I
commented about ``slightly old to really old tools'', and that was one
I was thinking of.  It looks like it hasn't been touched in seven
years, and I wasn't sure if it still worked.  But that drive by
comments lends some hope.  Using it would help address Alex's concern
about modifying existing config files.  That debhelper extension is
designed precisely for that situation.  But, its age is pretty much
what inspired me to start this thread.

I've been using config-package-dev for some years now - to add some customized configs to existing installed packages - and it still seems to be working perfectly. It's just a wrapper on top of dpkg diverts so there's not all that much to go wrong.

--
John