Re: Fwd: Debian 11 Xfce panel Network Manager applet has disappeared

On 4/18/24 09:46, Gareth Evans wrote:
On Thu 18/04/2024 at 11:05, David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

Move aside the ~/.config/xfce4 directory:
Restart -- screen with wallpaper alone.

Hi David,

Starting from Mate DE only and some old (bookworm) XFCE config files, if I:

$ sudo apt install task-xfce-desktop

then log out and into XFCE, I get an XFCE desktop with wallpaper, desktop icons, panel, main menu, launchers, window buttons, notification area.

Then I:

$ mv ~/.config/xfce4 ~/.config/xfce4.old

then logout and into XFCE again, I get wallpaper, desktop icons, panel, main menu, window buttons, notification area, but only non-functional launcher placeholder icons.

$ diff ~/.config/xfce4 ~/.config/xfce4.old
Common subdirectories: /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop and /home/user/.config/xfce4.old/desktop
Only in /home/user/.config/xfce4.old: panel       }
Only in /home/user/.config/xfce4.old: src         }  <-- these are subdirectories
Only in /home/user/.config/xfce4.old: terminal    }
Common subdirectories: /home/user/.config/xfce4/xfconf and /home/user/.config/xfce4.old/xfconf
Common subdirectories: /home/user/.config/xfce4/xfwm4 and /home/user/.config/xfce4.old/xfwm4
$

(though there probably wasn't much there to start with)

I'm not sure what would cause this difference in behaviour (though wonder if this might suggest more amiss with your XFCE installation) and I will watch this thread with interest.

Also I just "rediscovered" that reinstalling task-xfce-desktop doesn't reinstall those packages which it brings in in the first place, though I'm sure you knew that :)

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks for the suggestions.  We have more information now.  :-)

David