Re: Automatic reboot on kernel crash in Debian 12 - how?

Michael Kjörling (12024-04-16):
> Are you saying that the settings themselves are reasonable for the
> purpose, and that this particular crash just happened to be such a one
> that no software running on the system in question can reasonably help
> with that scenario?

No, unfortunately I do not have the gift of divination, it would be
convenient. I am saying that you cannot use software to protect yourself
entirely from software bugs.

> This happened on a VM that I can't directly influence the hardware
> configuration of (a commercially provided VPS), but I should be able
> to jury-rig something using the provider's API if necessary.

You probably can. But first check if your VM has an emulated hardware
watchdog.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George