config files - newline possible?

Hi folks,

O know in shell scripts it is possible, to seperate a looong line of commands
into several short lines.

But can this be done in config-files, too?

I have a files with the syntax like this:

Do_not_write="/path1/subfolder /path1/subfolder2 ... /pathX/subfolderX"

And as there are many paths, the line is very long.

Is there aay, to make one line to several lines?

In bash (I believe), it is a backslash sign, which leads to the next line, but
does this also work in configuration files?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Best

Hans