Re: What use can i give to linux?

On Saturday 06 April 2024 11:05:52 am Curt wrote:
> On 2024-04-05, John Hasler <john@sugarbit.com> wrote:
> > Desktop Linux is widely used in physics and mathematics.  NASA uses
> > Linux extensively, including on Mars and on the ISS.  SpaceX uses Linux
> > on their rockets and spacecraft.  Over 90% of the top 1 million Web
> > servers run Linux, including Yahoo, X, and Ebay.  Almost all
> > supercomputers use Linux. Linux has a large and growing share of the
> > automotive market.  Your router almost certainly runs Linux.
>
> Yeah, but Grandma's still using Windows XP.

Don't believe the stereotypes...

My lady,  now 79,  was running XP until there was a hard drive crash some few years back.  After I dealt with that but before I did the re-install I stuck an Ubuntu CD in the machine and said "Try this" and it was apparently okay enough to go ahead and install it and run it for several years.  The only regret was one game that wouldn't load,  but we couldn't get a clean read off of that install medium anyhow.  Not all that long ago that machine got replaced by one running linux Mint,  which she's still happily running today.  I offered Debian,  by putting it on a second drive in that earlier machine and pointing out the boot options,  but she never did get that much of a handle on the idea of selecting different desktop environments.  Not a big deal,  at least the house is an M$-free zone still,  and I know that she's a damn smart lady.  :-)

-
M Dakin