Re: NextGov: Linux XZ Utils Backdoor Was Long Con, Possibly With Support

Hi,

Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
> But what if next time the back-doored software _does_ build without error?

The initial build problems did not cause suspicion.
It was the CPU load of sshd and an obscure complaint by valgrind which
caused the discovery.
  https://boehs.org/node/everything-i-know-about-the-xz-backdoor
quotes the discoverer Andres Freund:
  "I was doing some micro-benchmarking at the time, needed to quiesce
   the system to reduce noise. Saw sshd processes were using a surprising
   amount of CPU, despite immediately failing because of wrong usernames
   etc. Profiled sshd, showing lots of cpu time in liblzma, with perf
   unable to attribute it to a symbol. Got suspicious. Recalled that I had
   seen an odd valgrind complaint in automated testing of postgres, a few
   weeks earlier, after package updates.
   Really required a lot of coincidences."

gene heskett wrote:
> In light of that its worth noting that an M$ employee was the first to
> spot it.

Indeed.
Thus we should also praise the peace between Microsoft and free software
which broke out a few years ago.

There remains the question, whom a good citizen should contact when
spotting something that could be a backdoor (or a subtenant ?) of
Debian's content or infrastructure.

It seems unwise for a non-expert to do this in public, unless one wants
to accuse the innocent or to warn the hoodlums.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas