Re: NextGov: Linux XZ Utils Backdoor Was Long Con, Possibly With Support

* On 2024 05 Apr 11:28 -0500, Cindy Sue Causey wrote:
> Hi, All..
>
> This just hit my emails seconds ago. It's the most info that I've
> personally read about the XZ backdoor exploit. I've been following
> NextGov as a friendly, plain language resource about government:
>
> Linux backdoor was a long con, possibly with nation-state support, experts say;
> By David DiMolfetta; 2024.04.05 12:59pm EDT

To be honest, I think better coverage has been done by the F/OSS
community.  The gist I got from this article was government types
speculating that only other government types could possibly be involved,
though there is an allowance for uncertainty.

The article mentions them times that "Jia Tan" apparently made commits
as being consistent with business hours in China or Europe.  Possibly,
but if someone were ever to scrutinize my timelines they would probably
find it consistent with bouts of insomnia!

> Continues to sound like one single perp is destroying the TRUST factor that an
> untold number of future programmers must meet. That's heartbreaking.

The damage to trust is the biggest part of this story, IMO.  A lot of
discussion is centering around tools and performing double checks before
a distribution accepts an updated or new package which are all probably
good steps and which point to the loss of trust.  "Jia Tan" was able to
work with Lasse Collin on the XZ project to the point of gaining commit
privileges and becoming a co-maintainer.  This is nothing new and
projects have been handed off to new maintainers in a more-or-less
similar fashion over the decades.  That in itself would have never
raised an eyebrow.

Committing binary files into a compression utility repository ostensibly
for testing the utility and its library weren't suspicions on the
surface but now the knowledge that compromising code was being linked
into the library from them will now make every binary file suspicious.
Certainly, their use is going to be checked and double-checked.  All of
this reflects the loss of trust.

For all of the other qualities why we have chosen Free Software, the
trust we have placed in Debian and its upstream projects has been
has been the underlying glue that has held this all together.  How this
is addressed going forward will be interesting.  Will upstream project
maintainers be required to have GPG keys signed like Debian requires of
its developers?  Will contributors be subject to the same?  Over the
years projects have received contributions from persons who wished to
remain more or less anonymous.  Will this change?  Will such
contributions become subject to even greater scrutiny by project
maintainers?  I suspect that at a minimum if a maintainer doesn't
clearly understand a patch then it won't get applied, but if the
maintainer is clever enough to work in a non-obvious patch that is
malicious, all bets are off.

It's a mess.

- Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us