Re: making Debian secure by default

On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 19:00:29 +0000
Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:

> In my view a great example of the "people other than me just need to
> get good" fallacy merged with the group of people predisposed to
> hate systemd.
>
> It could have been any direct or indirect dependency of sshd here.
> I'm quite sure almost none of them have the required resources and
> processes to detect something like this.

Easy, now. No-one is attacking systemd, and I don't think anyone wanted
to start a systemd war. This could also have happened under System V
initialization.

I have no doubt that this sort of thing has happened in the past, and I
fully expect it will happen again in the future. However, the defect
has been caught and repaired. The system for dealing with
vulnerabilities is working, if not perfectly. The question now is: what
lessons can we learn from it.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com