Re: autofs for /home: exclude admin users

On 01/04/2024 07:55, Felix Natter wrote:
hello debian-users,

I configured autofs for /home:

* -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,bg,intr SERVER:/share/&
Just to point out that this is "/share", not "/home". You might have set user's home directories to be /share/<username>, but you've not mentioned that explicitly.

But now the login as "admin" does not work any more, since
it tries to mount SERVER:/share/admin -> Is it possible to exclude
a user from automounting?
Probably the simplest method is to ensure that "admin"'s home directory isn't below /share. You could keep that under /home, or make a new folder, as you prefer.

The workaround [1] I use is this:

admin -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,bg,intr localhost:/export/admin_homes/&
* -fstype=nfs,rw,soft,bg,intr SERVER:/share/&

where /export/admin_homes/admin is just a normal directory.

[1]
https://serverfault.com/questions/245121/how-to-prevent-autofs-from-mounting-over-specific-directories

Is this a valid solution? Will it work on Debian/Ubuntu/... also in the
future?

Many Thanks and Best Regards,
Felix
I use FreeIPA to manage my NFS home directories, and I've set my users there to have home directories under /home/ipa/<username>. This means that non-FreeIPA users (i.e. if I need a machine-only user) have their homes under /home/<username> which isn't NFS-mounted.